ReadOregon is a collaborative program between two universities that share a common curriculum of online literacy courses. You may take courses at either of the cooperating universities from wherever you happen to be. What began as a grant in 2003 (from the U.S. Department of Education’s Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education (FIPSE)), continues to provide dynamic coursework for teachers who are wanting to add a reading endorsement to their existing license or who want to update their professional toolbox.
The ReadOregon consortium offers three programs:
- a 24-credit TSPC-approved Reading Endorsement program,
- a 12-credit literacy education course of study for general classroom teachers,
- a “courses-only” option.
ReadOregon courses encompass 7 thematic areas that align with the International Reading Association Standards:
- literacy foundations
- literacy strategies and methods
- literacy for diverse learners
- literacy assessment
- leadership in school reading programs
You may select a university (PSU or SOU) as your “home” institution but can take classes at either one. You will do your practicum through your “home” institution.